For some reason I dig random generators. Maybe they epitomise Old School gaming, who knows. Anyway, ever since I've read this post one month ago, I've been thinking about using the cards from the game Citadels as elements for yet another random generator.
Separate the cards between characters and districts. Shuffle each pack of cards.
You'll either want to randomly generate an NPC, or a neighbourhood for when the party is unexpectedly exploring the city, and has caught you unawares.
Random NPC Generator
1. Take a card from the characters pack. Depending on the card, the NPC is...
Assassin > an Assassin
Thief > a Thief
Magician > a Wizard
King > a Nobleman
Bishop > a Rune Priest
Merchant > a Trader / a Merchant
Architect > a Sage
Warlord > a Fighter
Witch > a Healer
Tax Collector > a Lawspeaker
Wizard > a Wizard
Emperor > a Nobleman
Abbot > a Rune Priest
Alchemist > an Alchemist
Navigator > a Sailor
Diplomat > a Minstrel / a Skald
Artist > a Musician / an Entertainer
Queen > a Noblewoman
2. Take a card from the districts pack. The value of the card will yield the level of the NPC:
HeroQuest: Ability at 17
LotFP: Level 1
RuneQuest/BRP: Skill at 50%
Tunnels & Trolls: Primary Talent at +2
HeroQuest: Ability at 1Ш
LotFP: Level 3
RuneQuest/BRP: Skill at 75%
Tunnels & Trolls: Primary Talent at +4
HeroQuest: Ability at 5Ш
LotFP: Level 5
RuneQuest/BRP: Skill at 100%
Tunnels & Trolls: Primary Talent at +6
3. Take a second card from the districts pack. This will indicate where the NPC is coming from, or where the party has met him.
Random Place Generator
1. Take a card from the districts pack.This is the current neighbourhood the party is exploring.
2. Take a card from the characters pack. This is an important NPC the party is going to meet / the person pulling the strings in this neighbourhood. Determine per No.1 above.
3. Take a second card from the districts pack. The value of the card will yield the level of the NPC per No.2 above.